Our app may appear as 'unavailable' in the Fire TV app store if you are using a VPN, if you're signed into a US Amazon account, have a US Billing address, or the time zone in your device's preferences is set up incorrectly (US instead of Canada)
If you are running a VPN on your network, disable it temporarily to see if this helps.
You can also try to download the CBC Gem app to your Fire TV stick using an alternate method.
Instead of downloading the app directly from your Fire stick, log into amazon.ca on a web browser using the same account you are signed into your stick with.
From here search for CBC Gem. The app should appear here and you should have the option of downloading the app directly to your device.
The option on amazon.ca should look similar to this.
- Select the device you want to add the Gem app to
- Select Get now with 1-Click
- Check your Fire TV to see if the app has been added
Note to Amazon Kindle Owners
If you own an Amazon Kindle and it is logged into the same Amazon account as your Fire TV, please check what location the Kindle store is set to.
If it is set to anything outside Canada, you may experience issues downloading Gem (or other apps which are restricted to Canada) on your Fire TV.
To check your settings.
1. On the amazon.ca website select Manage Your Content and Devices from the menu in the top right corner of the screen
2. You will see a message stating your preferences are set up through Amazon.com.
Select the link beneath this message that reads For content, devices, preferences and privacy settings go to the Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon.com
3. Select Preferences from the options at the top of the screen
4. If the Country/Region Settings are set to anything other than Canada, select Change to update your location.
If you're still experiencing issues after trying the suggestions provided, you can contact us here.