The fact that you don't receive an over the air DTV signal from CBC in your region is a result of our decision not to replicate our former analog TV transmission network at "analog switchover" - the CRTC mandated switch off of analog television in Canada in 2012. We had 620 analog TV transmitters, and we simply couldn't afford to replicate that infrastructure, and in any case it was clear that to do so wasn't a good use of scarce resources.
We saw that 95% of Canadians get their TV from sources other than over the air. To spend hundreds of millions to reach the remaining 5% was not consistent with our strategy, our realities, nor with good judgement in the use of our money. We built out a small number of DTV transmitters (14 for CBC English, 13 for Radio-Canada French) in those communities where we produce local TV programming. In other places, we rely on peoples' use of other methods to access their CBC TV content.
The result is that there are places unserved by an over-the-air digital television signal. Viewers in those places access CBC TV content via cable or satellite delivery, or increasingly, over the web. There is a wide range of content available for streaming through our web site and apps. You can browse this material on the CBC Player and the CBC Gem web site, or download the CBC Gem app for iOS and Android devices.
We hope you'll be able to decide to use another source for the great content available on CBC TV.