Below are some tips to get the most optimal experience when watching CBC Gem programming.
1. Use our free CBC Gem app
2. Update your browser
Please ensure your browser is updated to the latest version, the browser we support are:
3. Turn off any VPN/Proxy Services or Ad Blockers
If you are getting errors that you appear to not be located in Canada or playback errors. Try disabling any VPN or Ad Blocking services to see if that helps.
Many antivirus suites provide ad-blocking and VPN capabilities, so you may need to check your program settings to see if any of these services are running.
4. Accessing Gem outside of Canada
CBC Gem is only available from within Canada. Due to rights issues and licensing agreements, much of our content is geofenced, including that content which appears on watch.cbc.ca and the CBC Gem app.
5. Ensure you are using a supported device
The CBC Gem app is currently available for iOS, Apple TV, and Android phones and tablets.
The CBC Gem Android app is only intended to be installed on touchscreen phones and tablets and will not work properly if installed onto an Android box or Android TV device.
You can access our content on most web browsers at watch.cbc.ca
Here are some additional tips you can try.
- Try to load the page in Incognito mode (Menu > New Incognito tab) to see if there is any improvement.
- Try to reset your Chrome browser settings
- If that doesn't work, try disabling Chrome built-in Flash and enabling the standalone version of Adobe Flash.
- Try adjusting the hardware acceleration setting. Menu > Settings > goto Advanced Settings and look under "System" for the options below. Check / uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available." Some users have better luck with it checked while for others not checked helps.
- Try to load the page in a Private Window (File > New Private Window) to see if there is any improvement.
- We have identified an issue affecting some Firefox users where you will hear the audio but have no picture. We are actively looking into the problem. You can try a different browser. Disabling hardware acceleration can help.
If you are still experiencing streaming issues on a particular web browser, try using a different browser to see if the issue persists.
Here are some links to the latest versions of Firefox and Google Chrome web browsers for your convenience:
Firefox: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ and
Google Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html